reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

October 7, 2016


It feels fairly impossible to explain the impact that the Harry Potter series has had on me, and others from my generation. I learned about good and evil, friendship, bravery, and sacrifice from the magical stories about Harry Potter. To me, they are a beautiful example of the power of story, and a hopeful picture of love's triumph in the face of bigotry and prejudice.

When I heard that they were publishing the script for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, I was really excited. I read a lot of Harry Potter fan fiction in my spare time, as it's fun to see the stories and characters continue on, and be re-imagined by fans. So, I was pumped and curious to see a continuation of the story that J. K. Rowling had collaborated on.

I really enjoyed reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. It seemed right to watch Harry struggle through being a parent to his son, Albus. The idea that Harry has to confront his own prejudices, and learn how to be a good dad to his misfit son made sense. I was pleased to see Harry work through a new stage of life. In talking to friends, some of their complaints were that they felt the villain of the story was far-fetched. Personally, I have read way crazier stuff online, so I wasn't phased. I think I also wasn't bothered by the story because I just slotted this book in with all the other imaginings of the future of the characters. I didn't try to give this story more weight than others, I just enjoyed the exploration of a possible future for characters that I love.

Overall, Cursed Child continues the magic of Harry Potter for me, and is a lovely picture of the struggles and triumphs of parenting, adulthood, and trying to understand your family.


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Pedagogic Style. Design by Fearne.