teaching: my tips for using Schoology

February 5, 2016



My school is currently piloting the use of a workflow management system called Schoology. We are a 1:1 device school, and all our students received iPads from the district. Schoology is used to release assignments to students and collect work from them. I use it every day, and really enjoy it. If you are unsure of how to use Schoology in your classroom, I would recommend taking a look through the resources provided by Schoology here: https://support.schoology.com/hc/en-us.

1. Organize your class using folders

The best system I have found for organizing a class in Schoology is to create a folder for assignments, and quizzes & assessments. My students got confused by unit folders, or weekly folders, as there are too many things to click through.

Here is how I have set up my resources and folders. I post directions on how to post a Google Doc to Schoology each quarter, and find that it helps to field the typical questions that pop up for students about crossing between Docs and Schoology. Here is a copy if you are interested.

2. Give quizzes using Schoology

I really appreciate using Schoology for quizzes rather than other applications like Socrative. Schoology allows teachers to create quizzes with the largest range of types of questions I have seen, from matching to multiple choice to ordering to short answer to more. 

Honestly, for quizzes on readings or vocab, Schoology cannot be beat. It will grade student's quizzes, and give them immediate feedback. I also recommend resisting the urge to use short answer questions on these quick quizzes. You will still be able to hold students accountable for knowledge that isn't skills based, but won't need to devote a night to grading.

I find that these settings disallow students from leaving the quiz, which reduces the potential for cheating.

3. Use paper rubrics for longer projects (for now).

For now when grading larger projects or assessments on Schoology, I use a paper rubric which I hand back to students and they tape into their notebooks. This allows them to track their porgress from pre-assessment to formative practice to the summative assessment. 

I work with ninth graders and find that they have trouble navigating back to an assignemnt to see feedback on Schoology. So, while Schoology has a rubric feature, for now, I am going to continue to use paper rubrics. 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Pedagogic Style. Design by Fearne.